From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2007 15:06:58 EDT
Dear Friends:

I am inspired by Heather's post, where she says:
    "mothers who used formula (often when help and  support with
breastfeeding was not available, or else was poor, or actually  ended up sabotaging the
bf) resist very much the notion that this put their
babies at risk of anything. They decide not to believe that  formula
is in any way  'risky' and instead, become angry, not at the system
(or individual workers) who sabotaged their bf, but at people  who
help other women to breastfeed or who point out the way health is
affected by infant feeding.  They can be angry to the point of
abusiveness and accuse breastfeeding supporters of 'making them  feel
guilty'."

-----------
I highly recommend George Lakoff's book "Don't think an Elephant." While  the
book is politically motivated, there are parts of it very relevant to us,
who are striving to make the world safe for breastfeeding.

For one thing, giving people a list of facts (or truths) will not change
their behavior if their basic paradigm/framework is different. Haven't we
encountered people (practitioners and parents) that blew off all our  research?
People refuse to believe things that are not congruent with their  fundamental
beliefs and values. So the folks that believe that formula is okay  (after all
hospitals wouldn't give it away if it was dangerous now, would they?)  ignore
all the studies or put breastfeeding in the category of "nice, but  not
essential."

This is why we must become assertive about the hazards of formula.  This must
be the right road, as the AAP/Industrial feeding magnates fought hard  to
remove all mention of the risks of formula feeding from the Ad Campaign, even
though focus groups showed that folks were ignorant of the hazards and that it
made an impression for them to learn more.  To me, industry  behavior and
advertising is a guide to what we should be doing.

How about "Formula is okay, but if you want a better chance for a healthy
baby, breastfeed." Or "formula is okay if you don't have anything better to give
 your sweet baby." Or "Breastfeeding = nature's seatbelt."

We need to change our practice, as we are loosing ground to industry. While
breastfeeding rates are increasing a little, exclusive breastfeeding rates are
 dropping in the US.

warmly and getting to old to put up with this s--- any more.

Nikki Lee RN, MS, Mother of 2, IBCLC, CCE
Lactation Consultant,  Philadephia Department of Public Health
_www.breastfeedingalwaysbest.com_ (http://www.breastfeedingalwaysbest.com/)
www.myspace.com/AdonicaLee