From:
Nina Berry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2007 17:24:36 +1000
Hi June
I am interested as to why you have prescribed 3hrly breastfeeds.  Newborn
infants tend to feed much more frequently than this.  Did you mean at least
as often as 3hrly?  I would suggest that this mother feeds her baby 'every
time it moves' aiming for at least 12 times in twenty four hours.  This will
keep the breast empty and bring in good supply.  I would also suggest skin
to skin as soon, as frequently and for as long as the mother can bear it.
This will also encourage mum to respond to the baby's squirms by offering
the breast.  Baby led attachment will optimise the chances of getting baby
attached and removing milk effectively.  Some mothers in this situation need
a couple of courses (ea five days) of oral abx to clean up the last of the
infection.  Watch for thrush ... In babe as well as mum
Nina Berry BA/Bed(Hons) Dip Arts(Phil)
Breastfeeding Counsellor
PhD Candidate - "Ethical Issues in the marketing of 'Toddler Milks'"