Date:
Mon, 6 Aug 2007 08:46:39 -0400
Recent posts in Lactnet have alluded to the International Code of Marketing of Breast Milk Substitutes (the Code) as another mechanism to help protect breastfeeding. The National Alliance for Breastfeeding Advocacy (NABA) has just released the results of?the second Code monitoring project in the US entitled, "Still Selling Out Mothers and Babies." There is a wealth of knowledge and data in this publication that may prove useful to those trying to make changes in the breastfeeding landscape. We have included a number of action items to help remove the commercial pressures that cause mothers to substitute formula for their own milk. What we have noticed is the increasingly aggressive and insidious infiltration of formula companies into all aspects of the health care system as well as the policy, media,?and legislative arenas. Maybe we are doing something right! The document is fully referenced (over 300 citations) and endeavors to help breastfeeding advocates acquire basic knowledge about the Code, look at the health outcomes of not being breastfed, explore the formula company workings, expose the vast number of violations and manners in which formula companies influence what babies are fed, and provide actions to help remove these commercial barriers. If you would like to order the publication or would like?more information please contact me. I will be speaking on these issues at the ILCA conference coming up soon.

Marsha Walker, RN, IBCLC
Weston, MA