From:
Kerry Ose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Aug 2007 06:20:14 -0400
I love this, Jane.  The idea of people as texts has been popular among literary theorists for
quite some time.  The thought is that when we encounter others, we read, interpret and
decode them.  Even though we are barely conscious of it, we are always building theories
and narratives about people based on their appearance, behavior, etc.

I would venture that we are hardwired to do this and that is crucial to our survival in many
ways.  It spurs us to help those who seem to need it, flee from those who seem to pose
danger, etc.

But the theories we build can be absolutely wrong if they are based on false beliefs. This
happens when people perceive that certain individuals are dangerous or untrustworthy
because of the color of their skin.  Similarly, new parents who have grown up in a society
that encourages bottles, cribs, detachment, etc., are likely to need some help reading their
babies.  Perhaps they need to be given a new set of interpretive tools, and I think many LCs
find themselves in the perfect position to introduce these.

Kerry Ose