From:
cian sawyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Apr 2007 22:11:52 -0400
Dear Lactnetters,

I am looking for some experienced advice on a matter please.  As a
CLC, I am just way in over my head here.  I searched the archives but
found nothing that appears to be relevant.  So here goes:

I have a friend who has been exclusively nursing her son since his
birth five months ago.  We've worked and worked on the latch but it
doesn't seem to make a difference because his latch  usually looks
good on the outside: wide gape, outward curl, lots of tissue in the
mouth and all that, but still she continues to suffer from sore
nipples.  (Could he have a short frenulum?  Or a high palette?)

In addition to this, she's had more than a few episodes of pretty
heavy blood flow from the nipples while nursing, particularly on the
right side.  One night she even thought that her son was bleeding
because of the large quantity of blood on his face.  He also has
melina stools after these 'episodes' so it's quite a bit of blood
that he's ingesting.  He has even spit up what looked like pure
blood.  She also experiences sharp prickly pains that shoot up her
breast.  She says it feels like it goes from the nipples and up the
ducts.  It happens during nursing and continues even after her baby
is finished and has come off her breast.  Again,  primarily on the
right side but a little on the left as well.  I would like to note
that the right side produces significantly greater quantities of milk
when she pumps.  I looked and looked at her nipples and saw a few
tell-tale crescent shaped cracks at the base of her nipple which says
appear from time to time.  To me, the pain and cracks point to a poor
latch.  But what about the blood and pain?  I don't see any signs of
thrush.

I just don't know what to do!   Please help!

P.S. the last episode with the blood was well over a month ago.
Hopefully it is gone for good.  But I am still curious to hear what
this could possibly be.  Many thanks!

cian sawyer, CLC
Nassau, Bahamas