From:
Liz Cammin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 2007 09:18:33 -0500
Hello,

This is purely anecdotal and just something that happened with a couple
of friends, but maybe it will help give you some ideas.  :)

I've got a couple of friends, one has one child and the other has two,
and none of them were ready for solids at 6 months.  In fact the two
older kids delayed them on their own (just refused them) for at least a
few more months.  It turns out that one is highly allergic to dairy (the
allergist sent them to the ER after their consult because he was worried
about anaphylaxis) and the other two have always had issues with mom's
milk if she had consumed any dairy.  Sometimes I think that a baby will
naturally delay solids as a self-protective measure if there are food
allergies or intolerances.  That's only my opinion though and I don't
know where there would be research to back it up.

I think the doctors of these kids were very concerned but I have a
feeling they were not that educated about breastmilk to begin with.  I
think they both came from the line of thinking of starting solids at 4-6
months and anything after that means there are huge problems.

I hope that helps some, like I said, I'm sorry I don't have any studies
or anything, but this is just something that happened to a couple of
friends.

Liz Cammin, RN