From:
Judy Ritchie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Mar 2007 11:39:55 -0700
http://breastfeeding.blog.motherwear.com/2007/02/aha_the_day_car.html
online comments
http://breastfeeding.blog.motherwear.com/2007/01/is_your_day_car.html

I listened to this story with disbelief while driving. Links are in the
actual article below to prove breastmilk is not a hazardous fluid in her
state.
Judy Ritchie

February 22, 2007
Day care chain charges more to serve babies breastmilk.

Remember a few weeks ago when I wrote a post asking to hear from readers
about any day care centers charging more to feed breastfed babies pumped
milk?
Well, Jennifer at The Lactivist has tracked down the source of the story,
and here it is:
There's a mother named Robin Neorr here in the Columbus area [her baby Ceili
is pictured at left].  After her daughter was born late last year and she
went back to work, she enrolled her daughter in one of the City Kids Daycare
[centers] in downtown Columbus.
Robin was told that she would need to pay an extra $50 per WEEK because her
3 month old daughter is breastfed.  You read that right, an extra $50 a week
to feed that little girl the best food available for her.
Why?
Well, Robin was given several reasons.
She was told that her milk was a hazardous body fluid that had to be kept
separate from all other food.  As such, the day care center kept the
prepared bottles of breast milk in a separate refrigerator in the director's
office.  (They even labeled it with a "bio-hazard" sticker, apparently
confusing breast milk with, I don't know...uranium?)  They also claimed that
they would have to purchase a separate warming pot for heating up the
breastmilk.
The center even suggested to another family that they were considering not
accepting breastmilk at all, and that "all day care centers are going to
have this policy soon."
Jen did some great research about the state regulations for handling both
formula and breastmilk, which demonstrates that there is no additional work
required to serve breastmilk.  In fact, the regulations are considerably
more onerous for serving formula!
As I wrote back in that earlier post, breastfeeding is not a hazardous
bodily fluid, according to the Centers for Disease Control, so these extra
precautions are completely unnecessary.  And, as I wrote about earlier,
breastfed babies do not require extra work, and actually save the centers
money.
So, what can you do?  You can email the owner of the day care chain at
(I just did) or call (614) 464-1411 or (614) 777-4320 to complain.