Date:
Wed, 11 Apr 2007 13:28:23 -0700
A friend's daughter at age 5 had a very rare ovarian cyst, which led to
early puberty including a bit of vaginal bleeding.  There were obvious
signs of the hormones being released from the cyst, including breast
growth, a bit of pubic hair, and other secondary signs of puberty.  The
endocrinologist was knowledgeable about this rare condition and managed
to get a ultrasound of the cyst when the child was bleeding, which
prevented more invasive tests from being done.  The cyst went away and
within  a year the child was back to pre puberty, with the exception of
some small breast tissue.

Other things that can cause pre puberty are harder to diagnose, and much
more horrible than a cyst.

I would think an exam would be the first step, to rule out abuse or the
child putting something in her vagina, and if that is ruled out, then a
visit to the endrocronologist would be in order...

Joylyn