Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2007 15:35:16 EST
Kirsten wrote about an opportunity to speak with family medicine residents
about "what not to do and say."  - i.e. things physicians say that discourage
breastfeeding, whether inadvertantly or not, though preferably the
inadvertant ones.
In a post from today, I've gleaned these ideas:
-scheduling is necessary
-supplementing is necessary
-baby should be sleeping through the night
-cosleeping is dangerous
What are your other favorites in this category??

Some of my favorites that have actually been said are:

-tongue ties don't interfere with breastfeeding
-don't let baby use you as a pacifier
-baby gets all the milk he needs in the first ten minutes
-don't worry (if you're nipples are sore..., insert whatever is causing mom
to question breastfeeding) formula is just as good..my kids all were formula
fed and they turned out just fine
-let him miss a couple of feeds, then he'll go to breast (this I just heard
from a mom of baby who couldn't latch)
    And an all important ommission of many HCP's is not referring mom to an
LC or LLL; also not even asking how breastfeeding is going and if mom is sore,
etc.

What an opportunity, Kirsten!  Best of luck with your talk.

Barbara Latterner, BSN, RN, IBCLC