From:
Justin Holweger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2007 16:37:45 -0500
Hi, my name is Justin Holweger, and I am a junior nursing student at the
University of North Dakota. Breastfeeding in public places has become an issue
among breastfeeding mothers.
Scott and Mostyn (2003) state that many breastfeeding mothers have
encountered family members and friends openly stating their disapproval for
breastfeeding in public. Tiedje (2001) conducted a study that showed how
friends and families attitudes towards mother's who brestfeed in public
affected wether the mother decided to brestfeed their baby in public settings
anymore. Many of the mother's friend's described breastfeeding in public as
nasty. Chang and Spatz (2006) state that more than half of the 50 states in
the U.S. have laws that protect the rights of mother's to brestfeed in public.
Other states have stipulations on when and where a mother can breastfeed.
A few questions I have are as follows: Are there situations in which a mother
should not breastfeed in public for the regards of others? Are the states that
have stipulations on mothers that breastfeed in public violating a mother's
personal rights and how about the child's rights?
Thank you for any opinions you can provide for me. I look forward to hearing
from you.
Justin Holweger, SN
University of North Dakota College of Nursing

Chang, K., & Spatz, D.L., (2006). The family & breastfeeding laws: what
nurses need to know. Maternal child nurse, 31, 224-230. Retrieved February
7, 2007, from Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, inc.

Scott, J.A., & Mostyn, T., (2003). Women's experiences of breastfeeding in a
bottle-feeding culture. Sage, 19, 270-277. Retrieved February 7, 2007, from
Journal of human lactation.

Tiedje, L.B., (2001). Low-income mothr's views on brestfeeding. Maternal child
nurse, 26, 55. Retrieved February 7, 2007, from Lippincott, Williams &amp; Wilkins,
inc.