ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Chip Isenhart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Aug 2007 14:46:21 -0600

We have done a few smell exhibits, using small aquarium pumps (button
activated). The tubing routes from the pump to a small jar containing a
polyester "cotton" ball saturated with the smell oil, with an exiting tube
fixed below drilled holes or a grill on the exhibit panel.

We've also done smell components outside on interpretive wayside panels and
it works well, with or even without a pump. We just add a hole drill pattern
into the graphic, drill the panel (hpl, etc.), affix a perforated jar top to
the back of the panel, and screw on the jar. The jar/pump can be enclosed in
a simple, tamperproof enclosure.

--
Chip Isenhart, Principal
ECOS Communications