From:
Angela Horn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2007 22:58:39 EST

In a message dated 1/17/2007 8:26:05 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

What are  we as LC's doing about this problem, and what if anything can we do
to  focus more attention on this epidemic!!! Is this only happening in poor
communities?  I can't imagine that if wealthy women, who want to  breastfeed
were experiencing this problem, that there would not be more  Dr's listening
to the fact that Depo is causing problems with  BF.

Kim Durdin-James, IBCLC
WHCC WIC

-------------------------

Stepping out for the first time to post in this forum, I see many familiar
faces and it's been a pleasure to learn from this wonderful community of
lactation professionals.

As LCs you can hope to reach these women before discharge and discuss with
them contraception options that are compatible with breastfeeding.  Outside  of
that the time to inform/educate them is prenatally.  So we come back to  the
prenatal breastfeeding information/education topic being discussed here
currently and those topics we consider vital to ensuring the best chance of
breastfeeding success.

Of course this could tie back in with the new SoP and put a LC in a bind as
she may be contradicting the information given to the woman by her care
provider  that indicates that the use of Depo Provera and other forms of
contraception  have no impact on breastmilk supply.  OY!

Angela  Horn CD(DONA), CBC, CCCE
Certified Doula
Certified Breastfeeding Counselor
Certified  Childbirth Educator