From:
Kathy Eng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2007 18:45:51 -0600
We teach a one hour class at Babies R Us as La Leche League Leaders. We
start with introductions around the room and ask why they came. I like
the idea of asking them to say a benefit - we'll try this next time. We
then go briefly to advantages, but we find that we really need to
emphasize how to latch on and get off to a good start. We talk the how
childbirth interventions might affect breastfeeding so don't give up if
you have a sleepy baby who feeds poorly at the breast, the asymetrical
latch on, active sucking and milk transfer, bowel movements, weight
loss/gain, how often and "how long" (I know every baby is different but
we are trying to teach them to watch their baby and learn breastfeeding
behavior). We encourage moms to go to LLL meetings during their
pregnancy and call early if they have problems. We give a list of web
sites and books on breastfeeding, childbirth, and parenting so that we
don't have to go into details on everything. We tell them to do some
reading on their own and decide for themselves. We get a lot of
complaints in this class about hospital policies and how the first baby
didn't nurse well, mom had no milk, baby was jaundiced and needed
bottles, etc. so we decided that emphasizing how to breastfeed was more
helpful than just saying why breastfeeding is important. We are also
doing this for free so we can not afford to purchase handouts (we can
not sell books or memberships at this class).

Kathy Eng, BSW, IBCLC, LLL Leader