From:
Liz Cammin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Dec 2006 13:59:00 -0500
I am really interested to hear what the regulations in the US are for
this!  I have been a lifelong blood donor (have given at least a gallon
plus) and my local blood bank has not ever been able to give me a
straight answer on whether it is safe to donate while nursing.  When I
asked them not to call me for a year after my son's birth, they said "A
YEAR???" like they couldn't imagine anybody nursing for that long!  :(
So at a year they started calling me again, and nobody seemed to know
anything, one person would say it was OK, another would say it wasn't
OK, another said they would have a nurse call me, etc.  Finally I got
pregnant again and the next time they called me, I asked them to take me
off their list for the time being, because I nurse my children for years
and I just did not feel comfortable donating blood while nursing at all,
whether it was safe or not.  Some day I will have my body to myself and
then I will be able to help the general public, but for now my children
need it!

This is the same blood bank that called my husband to donate, and he
told them he was having a filling fixed.  When he got there (he took
time off work), they said he couldn't because of the filling, but the
volunteer did not catch that when they'd talked to him prior.  But that
is another story!

Liz Cammin, RN