From:
Norma Ritter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2007 01:33:58 -0500
HIT:
http://www.nypost.com/seven/02112007/news/regionalnews/mike_to_new_moms__nurse_for_6_months_regionalnews_susan_edelman____and_carl_campanile.htm
or http://tinyurl.com/223o8y

>Now that he has weaned New Yorkers off smoking and trans fats, Mayor
Bloomberg is launching a multimillion-dollar good-parenting campaign
that includes a push to put more newborns to the breast.The city
Health Department is spending more than $2 million in city-run
hospitals to encourage moms to breast-feed.
"We don't yet have any hospitals in New York City that meet national
'baby-friendly' standards," Bloomberg's health commissioner, Dr.
Thomas Frieden, said at a parenting conference last week."That means
getting formula out of the nursery. It means putting the baby on the
breast immediately after birth. It means that every person who
interacts with that mother and child is supportive and encouraging of
breast-feeding."<

MISS:
http://www.healthoma.com/weaning-baby-off-your-milk-how-to-stop-breastfeeding/
or http://tinyurl.com/3bh9am

>If you have trouble breastfeeding then you may want to bottle feed
your baby. This is also an option if you have to return to work or
have other obligations you need to fulfill and so cannot breastfeed.
>CLIP<
>The best way to stop breastfeeding is not to offer it. Even if your
child cries, ignore the crying but feed her the next time. You can do
this alternatively so that gradually the number of breastfeedings
decreases. It will be difficult at first to ignore the crying but you
need to stick it out as it will help you both in the long run. Over
time she will accept the fewer nursings, and you can distract her by
offering other foods and engaging her attention in play. Gradually you
can stop nursing.<

MISS:
http://risapulver.blogspot.com/2007/02/breast-feeding-in-public.html
or http://tinyurl.com/2q5rzq

>While eating lunch today at Baby Moon Restaurant in Westhampton Beach
I noticed at a table right across from us a woman breast feeding her
baby. I thought she was just holding the baby until I noticed the
entire side of her shirt pulled up. I felt this was extremely
inappropriate to be doing in the middle of a restaurant without
covering herself. <

HIT:
http://www.webcommentary.com/asp/ShowArticle.asp?id=simonl&date=070211
or  http://tinyurl.com/yqxlj5

>Admittedly, I'm from the side of the species that doesn't pack the
gear that generates all of this commotion. Still, I do remember some
of my biology classes and have helped raise three formerly breastfed
kids to adulthood.
I believe that this background has given me a rudimentary
understanding of the function of the female breast which is, in
essence, to feed babies. And, if anyone doubts that, as Yogi Berra
once said, "You could look it up."
OK, so let's assume that we're in a public place. Let's further assume
that there's a mother nearby with a very hungry infant. Finally, let's
assume that that mother has chosen to and is fully capable of
breastfeeding that infant.
Is there a dilemma here? Is there some problem that only Solomon on
his best day could solve?
Possibly, but only if everyone involved has lost sight of words like
courtesy, kindness, and consideration.<

This endeth the lesson for today :)

norma