From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 2007 14:54:14 +0000
I would not be at all worried about a thriving infant who is not on solids at 8 or 9 months. The 6 months time is not a strict rule but a guideline, and I believe the concerns are for introduction of iron rich complementary foods, and developmental readiness. A full term healthy infant has iron stores for *about* 6 months, and after that may need additional iron rich foods. If the infant was born premature, then he may not have the iron stores of the full term, and might need the iron foods sooner. If you can, check the lactnet archives, as I believe we have some good posts on this topic. By the way, some babies seem to *want* solids sooner, and if not done too much before 6 months, and if the food or foods were nutritious, I wouldn't have a problem with that either.
Best regards,Laurie Wheeler, IBCLC, MN, RN Mississippi, midsouth USA