Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2007 16:41:47 +0000
>CWG wrote:
>>Jarred foods can have their place, when out or when the family meal is too
>allergenic for the
>baby, but I hate to see the most vulnerable member of the family relying on
>only processed food for a prolonged period.<
>
>Exactly!
>When mothers have questions about jarred foods, I often ask them about their
>own diets. Would they consider ONLY eating canned foods or do they prefer
>fresh whenever possible?
>You can see the penny drop :)
>
>norma

Doesn't it depend on what they are used to, though?

There are many families here in the UK, across the whole social
spectrum, who only eat canned and processed foods....ever.  It's
especially the case among poor families, but it is not restricted to
them at all.  Along with this goes the erosion of
cooking/feeding/nourishing as a social activity that helps enhance
relationships within families.  In these families, the question
'would you like to eat fresh foods whenever possible?' would cause
some confusion, I think.

There is a lot of fuss made about this in the media and on TV at
present in the UK.

To bring this back to topic, I think the reliance on canned and
processed  foods, not 'home made' and not served as part of a
relationship, has a parallel to breastfeeding.

Heather Welford Neil

NCT bfc, tutor, UK