From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2006 05:33:46 +0000
I certainly appreciate this line of thinking and quite agree. It seems obvious that babies, children, and adults have different genetics, sizes, metabolisms, etc. I have often posted that it is one of the most difficult decisions on whether or not to supplement at any given time, and whether it does more harm to continue exclusive breastfeeding with no weight gains, slow weight gains or even small losses or to add formula. Which does more harm? I don't know the answer.
I would not be at all concerned about babies consuming 2 or 3 ounces per feed, even older babies.   The ones that I am talking about, in my practice, who are being weighed pre and post feed, are the ones that are taking in 6, 12, 18 ml even using breast compression and such. I do realize we don't know EXACTLY how much this infant needs. I do use a nifty mathematical formula (birthweight x 2.5 ounces = ounces of milk per 24 hour day needed). This works extremely well in my opinion as a starting point. It is my understanding that although breastmilk volume doesn't keep going up over the many months of normal breastfeeding, it does increase over maybe the first 6 weeks. So you've got to have some kind of a starting point. I did not measure, weigh, nor care much about how much my own babies, who were obviously thriving, were drinking. This would be my ultimate goal for all couplets.
Laurie Wheeler, IBCLC, MN, RN
Somewhat mathematical in Mississippi, s.e. USA