Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2006 05:33:46 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
I certainly appreciate this line of thinking and quite agree. It seems obvious that babies, children, and adults have different genetics, sizes, metabolisms, etc. I have often posted that it is one of the most difficult decisions on whether or not to supplement at any given time, and whether it does more harm to continue exclusive breastfeeding with no weight gains, slow weight gains or even small losses or to add formula. Which does more harm? I don't know the answer. 
I would not be at all concerned about babies consuming 2 or 3 ounces per feed, even older babies.   The ones that I am talking about, in my practice, who are being weighed pre and post feed, are the ones that are taking in 6, 12, 18 ml even using breast compression and such. I do realize we don't know EXACTLY how much this infant needs. I do use a nifty mathematical formula (birthweight x 2.5 ounces = ounces of milk per 24 hour day needed). This works extremely well in my opinion as a starting point. It is my understanding that although breastmilk volume doesn't keep going up over the many months of normal breastfeeding, it does increase over maybe the first 6 weeks. So you've got to have some kind of a starting point. I did not measure, weigh, nor care much about how much my own babies, who were obviously thriving, were drinking. This would be my ultimate goal for all couplets.
Laurie Wheeler, IBCLC, MN, RN
Somewhat mathematical in Mississippi, s.e. USA

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET email list is powered by LISTSERV (R).
There is only one LISTSERV. To learn more, visit:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2