From:
Liz Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 2006 07:28:07 -0400
An intriguing question is posed:  What to do when a speaker at a conference
says something ill-advised ... that is now being repeated as the "latest
research?"  How do you "catch that smoke?"

In this case, the speaker apparently apologized to the conference organizers
-- acknowledging (that day) the erroneous comment.  Didn't stop the smoke,
though.

I would ask the conference organizers for their help.  They will want to
have the reputation of putting on conferences that have credible,
research-based presenters.  The speaker sounds like she understands the need
to present only credible, research-based information -- since she admitted
her mistake.

So write to the organizers, and describe to them how the misinformation is
being repeated -- at best undermining the credibiliity of the speaker and
the organizer (for those who are up on their cup-feeding research); at worst
misinforming those who aren't up on their research.  Ask them to contact the
speaker, requesting that she join the organizers in a joint letter to all
the attendees "clarifying" the speaker's comment.

You won't catch all the smoke -- but if you do smell a wisp of it here and
there, you will have the ability to say, "Did you also hear that the speaker
and host sent out a letter clarifying that remark?  She really meant to say
blah blah blah."

I have been a presenter, and I can tell you that I would *jump* at the
chance to clarify any comments I had made in a public forum.  O foucrse,
some presenters are opinionated dopes -- you'll never get someone like that
to do a public clarification.  But even if you do nothing more than seek a
correction from the organizers and speaker, and they refuse to act further,
*you* will sleep better because you did what you could.  And you can bet
your bottom dollar that both the organizer and the speaker will be on their
toes against such comments henceforth ....

Liz Brooks, JD, IBCLC
Wyndmoor, PA, USA