From:
Christine Pillado <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 2006 01:48:35 EST
Dr. Mimi,
This is a beautifully written post.  Thank you.

To all the women who are feeling worn out and time for a change,
Please know that I have spoken to most of you in person and read many,  many,
many of your posts on LACTNET.  Even if you don't remember speaking  to me at
an ILCA conference, I remember meeting you and your words of  wisdom.
After several years of preparation, I took and passed the exam this  summer.
I have three young children (the youngest, 10mo, is nursing and  hopefully
will be for years to come) and I am (to my knowledge) the only IBCLC  in my city
who does home visits.  I am also one of a handful of doulas who  still take
clients.  AND my youngest was born at home with a  midwife who just had HER
second child at home last week.  We are out  here!!  We are learning from your
experience and are traveling a path that  isn't as difficult because of all the
groundwork you have done and are  doing.  THANK YOU!!
Keep up the good fight.

Christie Pillado, IBCLC, RLC
El Paso, Texas

I come from feisty stock.  My 79 year old mom still substitute teaches  in
the Chicago Public Schools.  My 80 year old dad is having his memoirs of
covering  the Civil Rights and Black Nationalists movements published next  year by
the University of Michigan Press.  Both continue to be life long  activists
struggling for the racial equality.  Have they gotten weary at  times, yes.  Do
they get angry, yes.  But have they retired, OH  NO!

I'd have to contend with two cantankerous elders if I even breathe  the
thought of leaving my profession.  Take a sabbatical yes, a vacation  okay.  I
would be hearing the voices of my grandparents and great aunts and  uncles yelling
from their grave, "Girl, you better get off your high horse and  get goin"  I
am descended from a feisty bunch that tends to work well into  their eighties
and only slow down in their late nineties.   Folks that  didn't have the
opportunity to attend high school or college until my parent's  generation. That
and being the first physician in my family, one of a very few  black women
physicians in the US.  If I spent all my energy focusing on the  disrespect of
colleagues, the discrimination I have faced, I wouldn't be able to  get up in the
morning.  However I know despite my struggles, I have been  priveleged to
help so many who didn't have a voice, who needed that special  reassurance, who
needed someone to stand up and draw the first line in the  sand.

The work we do matters.  I am certain every person on this  list has touched
countless lives in ways they cannot even imagine.  For  every visible defeat,
I am sure all of us have had many small victories.  I  find solace  knowing
that I do make a difference.  I am grateful that  I had the opportunity, the
choices to work at a time that so many of my sisters  have not.

I do this work not just for those today, but also for those  coming behind me.

Lactation work just like every other aspect of US  health care is in turmoil.
 There are a whole lot of unhappy campers out  there.  But giving up and
walking away doesn't solve the problem, doesn't  satisfy my desire to affect
change.

So please find that place for renewal  and recharge.   Pass that valuable
knowledge to another person  interested in doing the work.

Take care of yourselves, you are  needed.

Best,

Pierrette Mimi Poinsett MD
Petaluma  CA