From:
Lisa Mandell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 2006 11:15:27 -0400
I saw a mom and baby at one week and helped them with better latch and
positioning to achieve comfortable nursing. Things have gone well for the
past two weeks, but the mother called today to say that for the last three
days she has been experiencing new pain. She describes significant nipple
pain when the baby latches, which decreases or goes away with time. At the
same time, on the opposite breast, she experiences deep breast pain she
describes as an ache which lasts for the first 30 seconds. Mother reports
nipple shows no sign of compression after feed, no blanching, no other signs
of thrush in mom or baby, no new meds or lotions, no nipple damage, no skin
problems, no household changes, etc. However, the baby is also having what
sounds like a growth spurt at the moment, feeding more frequently than
usual. It sounds like the pain preceded the growth spurt, but I'm wondering
if it might be that as baby is feeding more and mom is making more milk she
is experiencing letdown as painful when it wasn't previously.

Any other thoughts or experiences that could help me help this mom?

Thanks!

Lisa Mandell, MBA, IBCLC (2005)
Havertown, PA