From:
Sharon Knorr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 2006 18:03:11 -0500
Dear Ilene,

Have run into this and my experience has been that the mom will start
experiencing pain and milk supply will suffer if there is decreased milk
transfer, especially if large size is accompanied by fibrous tissue and lack
of compressability.  In some cases it has taken up to 6 weeks for the baby
to be able to efficiently nurse.  I would suggest a close check of milk
transfer once the milk has come in, either through pre/post weights and/or
close attention to diapers and weight gain.  If mom has a great supply and
MER in beginning, baby may be able to get enough just from that, but again
supply and weight gain may suffer eventually. Most of the moms I worked with
pumped at least a couple of times a day in order to protect their supply.
Also, if transfer is not good, then baby will need to be supplemented with
EBM until he can go to breast and nurse well.  The good part is that these
babies do grow into the moms nipple size and do well once that happens.

Sharon Knorr, BSMT, IBLCL