Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 2006 10:27:04 +0000
>Micki, IBCLCs need to send an HCP report on every consultation or
>helping situation they do. It is unethical otherwise.

Interesting - I think I am right in saying that it's the opposite
here:   IBCLCs in private and state practice in the UK would be
*breaking the law*, and considered to be acting *unethically*, if
they did this unless the client gave permission to do so.

Most health service breastfeeding support here is given by midwives
and health visitors (a sort of community health nurse) and the
clients are 'theirs', even though just about everyone is also
registered with a general practitioner as well. They do not routinely
communicate with the GP, and would only do so having asked the client
first, and only if there seemed to be a relevant medical issue.

This is just one of the challenges in establishing a 'one size fits
all' set of rules when you are covering the globe :)

Heather Welford Neil
NCT  bfc, tutor, UK