From:
Kellie Whitney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Oct 2006 20:25:51 -0400
I am looking for more information on this drug. I spoke with a mother
today who is pregnant. She takes 1mg of Risperidone before bed. She wants
to breastfeed, but is concerned about drug transfer to her baby, who is
due in April.

I checked Hale (2004) and the drug is rated L3. The information in Hale
leaves her and I a bit confused as to whether or not it is OK for her to
nurse her baby while on this med. I have forwarded her information to take
to the OB regarding the medication. The mother says that her OB is very
breastfeeding friendly, but her pediatrician (she has an older child) is
not. I did suggest that she may want to present the infomration to the OB
and ask for a referral to a breastfeeding-friendly pediatrician to discuss
this issue. She really wants to breastfeed if at all possible. This med is
working for her, and she is not intersted in trying another medication.

As an LLLL, I cannot reccomed a specific pediatrician. I told her I would
post the question to LACTNET and forward to her any responses, with the
author's permission. She is going to ask her OB if she knows of any
breastfeeding-friendly pediatricians in the area who would be willing to
do a consult on this specific issue. Hopefully, Dr. Gordon will come up as
an option.

-Kellie Whitney, still irked that most MDs and Pharmacists in our area do
not own a copy of Hale...seriously...$25 is too much to spend???