Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 2006 23:05:08 EST
In a message dated 11/9/2006 8:36:04 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Also,  what I would like hospital LCs to teach is active sucking not
sleeping at  the breast, proper latch on (nipple to nose technique for
most situations  with wide lips), what milk transfer looks like, diaper
counts, how the  breast makes milk, weight loss and weight  gain..>>>>

early postpartum moms retain about 10% of what they hear.

following up with practice and written materials increases  retention.

<<<<I would show mom what active sucking looks like  and satiation -- this is
very important. I devised a checklist to remind  me of what to teach.>>>>

good idea - a checklist is a good tool for the LC and the new mom

<<<<Sometimes you see so many patients you forget  everything!>>>>

sometimes early postpartum moms hear so much information they  forget
everything.

hopefully they **hear it, see it, do it** all again during the next 24  hrs
and some of it sticks before they promptly go home.

Debbie  Tobin
RN BSN IBCLC LCCE

Fairfax County, Virginia suburbs  outside the Washington DC beltway