From:
Ruth Fiedler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2006 11:19:57 +1000

Hi all.
http://WWW.theaustralian.news.Com.au/story/0,20867,20653737-1702,00.HTML

Here is a story that says breastfeeding lowers mental health risks - rather
interesting.  To me it points out the importance of giving correct
information to all mothers who will listen and respond in what ever way they
can - even if it means going against what the MD or other heath professional
has said.  Just today a friend told me that the local child health nurse is
still insisting that babies be fed no more frequently than 4 hourly!
Actually the public and HP need to be told the truth about breastfeeding,
artifical baby milk and infant nutrition.  Who will tell them if LC's can
not???

I have always believed that people have the right to accurate correct
information.  ABA (Australia) and LLL would have never even started if it
were not for a handful of women who said no to the social and medical
culture that they found themselves. I expect that IBCLE would never have
started unless those who founded the organisation saw that things were not
right and need to be put right somehow.   I have no trouble about being
militant when information is balantly incorrect.  Often one can be
dipolmatic in their approach, occassionally it takes a little more.

The way one goes about spreading correct information will vary from
situation to situation, person to person, culture to culture but it must be
done.  If it involves stepping on toes sometimes, then we must.  We do it
not for ourselves but for the women of past generations who were denied
successful breastfeeding experiences due to poor support, for the current
generations who have the right to be told the truth and for the future
generations of women so that they will not needlessly suffer the same hurt
and grief but rather freely, and unashamedly enjoy breastfeeding their
babies both in private and in public.

For those who can not breastfeed for what ever genuine reason, need to be
support adequately and given every right and opportunity to grieve their
loss.

Not being able to give correct information does not equate to being a
professional.  Sorry, the S of P is not in my opinion the basis for a
professional body.  Until it is changed, I will not be sitting any exam.

Hoping to go forward, not backward

Ruth Fielder
Australia