From:
Renee Palting <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2006 18:31:56 -0400
I think we need to make a distinction of non-profit and profit
organization. This is a tax designation.  I believe that the non-profit
milk banks will state they have to rely on other means to help support
their costs.  Whether they rely on donations, grants, gifts etc I am not
sure.  But I believe the $3.50 does not cover burden expenses (i.e.
admin/overhead).  I would like to know what the true costs are for a non-
profit.
I have heard the argument of non-profit being that similar to the Blood
banks.  Hospitals do pay for the blood, and hospitals do pay for the
administration, and pt's are billed for the cost. And as we all know
Pharmaceutical companies have profited from the products derived
from "donated" blood. We are also forgetting there are Plasma banks that
people sell there plasma for cash. And those products are sold at a
encumbered profit.

You may take this with a grain of salt:  Having spoken to a high profile
insurance broker, when  limbs of someone famous are insured, one has to
show that without these "limbs" there would be a loss of income.  Thus
when a cellist insures his hands, she can state that without her hands she
has no income and not the same income. Of course the "premiums" are
outrageous, and to provide evidence of the need for insurance is
difficult. This is why there are not many policies out there.

This is definetly new territory that needs to be explored. I am
intereseted to hear anyone's comments/reflections of the issue but I think
we need to compare apple to apples by finding out what the real costs of
non-profit breastmilk is.

Renee Palting, RN, IBCLC, RLC
Tucson, Arizona