From:
Diana Cassar-Uhl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Oct 2006 23:21:25 -0400

Kathy wrote:
And most of the time they keep taking them but eliminate cowsmilk (or
whatever the offending food turns out to be) and the baby gets better.  I
wish this wasn't such a common problem, but I would estimate I see 3
mom-baby pairs/week with a food sensitivity issue.

I totally agree.  I see it all the time, including in my own personal
experience.  I didn't even know *I* was sensitive to cow's milk until I gave
it up for my daughter and never felt better.  I'm not able to tolerate a
small amount (as are both of my children, ages nearly 4 and newly 2) each
day, usually cheese or yogurt.

I think this is controversial information because it theoretically could
discourage mothers "on the fence" from breastfeeding -- even the mothers who
are committed breastfeeders are reluctant to give up their moo-juice in
cereal or ice cream habits.  When I suggest it to mothers, I remind them
that it might be for a very short time.

Linda Folden Palmer's book "Baby Matters" is the first I have seen address
this issue.  I am often hesitant to engage in conversation about this
because, as a result of my personal experience, I am really disgusted by our
consumption of cow's  milk and dairy products in general, and I don't want
to infect others with my vehement bias unless I can cite research.

One more thought -- oversupply and dairy intolerance often present with the
same symptoms, and I think I read somewhere that mothers with oversupply who
cut back or eliminate dairy also see an improvement in the oversupply.  I'm
sure there is something to this.

--Diana in NY (LLLL)