Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 2006 01:06:51 EDT
Said company can no longer make certain claims about the better
digestibility of its product.  They also had a tad bit of trouble about a  particular
researcher's credibility and quality of research that claims were  based upon.

It was in the popular press a while back.  I happened by said  company's
booth at a conference this spring.  Asked the rep about it.   Without skipping a
beat she told me the two bigger US formula  companies  did similar things.

These days I make more effort to find out the funding of a speaker or
researcher and take that into consideration when listening  to a talk or  reading a
paper.  It isn't enough to read the disclaimer in the beginning  of a peer
reviewed journal article or look at the financial connection to a  speaker in the
conference syllabus.

What is really spooky is that many of the "health segments" in TV news and
public interest programs are directly taken from  public relations  departments
of large pharmaceutical companies.  No disclaimers  put  into the broadcast.
I have learned one has to be particularly careful  reading stuff on
Medscape/WebMD as there is a lot of stuff inserted between  legitimate articles that
are really product placement and advertisement  masquerading as new information.
 Way slicker than having a drug or formula  rep detail you in the office.

Glad I learned very early to check sources and "read between the  lines."

Daughter of a journalist and librarian,

Pierrette Mimi Poinsett MD
Petaluma CA