From:
Del Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2006 08:43:32 +0800
Coeliac is damage to the villi caused by gluten allergy (my son has this) -
gluten is a protein in wheat, oats, barley, rye and buckwheat. Apparently
oats in some parts of the world are gluten free but here in Australia we
crop in the same paddocks, transport and process oats in the same equipment
as wheat so it's considered highly contaminated with gluten.

Coeliac generally occurs in the bowel where the villi are damaged - broken
off or flattened, they can also bleed. Crohns can occur anywhere along the
digestive tract from the mouth to the anus. Thus - the older blood (from
higher up in the digestive tract) will be darker and the fresher blood (ie
closer to the bowel/anus) will be brighter/redder. Any of these digestive
disorders - Crohns, Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Colitis, Coeliac run in
families, not necessarily the same disorder - so yes the baby has a higher
risk of it due to father's diagnosis. BUT, there are many research papers
concluding that breastmilk exclusively is highly recommended for "at risk"
babies.

I do hope this "GI" professional knows more than your description seems to
show. I would perhaps be getting a second opinion if possible.

Oversupply of breastmilk may lead to damage of the gut and may show up as
lactose overload (secondary lactose intolerance) and may lead to gut damage
leading to a diagnosis of coeliac - this may or may not be repairable with
strict diet. I am not sure of this with other gut disorders.

I'm sure there are other great websites around the world -here is one from
Australia which explains coeliac simply.
http://www.coeliac.org.au/symptoms-diagnosis-cure.htm
and one for crohn's
http://www.acca.net.au/module.asp?module=leftmenu&gotoid=What+is+IBD%3F

"Pain in the milk channels" could indicate painful letdown which may also
point towards oversupply/fast letdown??  If she had thrush this would also
likely cause pain. It is unlikely if this was bleeding nipples that this
would show up as bright blood in the stools - this is what I assume you were
talking about when you said the GI said that darker blood would have been
expected.

I hope this helps,
Del
Del Smith
Group Leader and Breastfeeding Counsellor
Southern Lakes Group WA http://www.starwon.com.au/~delma/index.htm
Australian Breastfeeding Association www.breastfeeding.asn.au

Married to Kevin and Mum to two gorgeous boys Courtney '96 and Dylan '99