Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 2006 15:25:30 +0000
When getting a history on a new postpartum mother in hospital I have a quickie list that I ask to see if there are any risk factors for insufficient lactation. Risk factors do  not mean mother will have low supply but this mother should be followed for milk supply carefully; no risk factors does not guarantee full supply. Most common reason for low supply IMO is bf management, i.e. bottles, unnecessary supplements, shallow latch, lousy pump.
Here are the areas I ask about: previous lactations, breast surgeries/biopsies, thryroid, other hormone problems, female hormone, ovary, infertility issues, other medical problems, meds she's on, smoking.
If I get a call later in lactation about low supply, I would go thru sample questions: bf practices including bottles, solids, early problems, wt gains,  if pumping what pump, flange size, frequency of pumping, nite pumping; then meds, pregnancy, smoking. Yesterday had a mom pumping for a baby who complained about supply dwindling. She states she is pumping every 3 hours; but on further inquiry this is only during daytime and none at all throughout the nite. She is pumping 5 or 6x; baby is only 12 days old and is not latching. Laurie Wheeler, IBCLC, MN, RN