From:
Christine Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 2006 12:38:14 -0700
Ahh--some of my favorite memories are LLL conferences. It is like entering
another world to be surrounded by so much healthy parenting. Not perfect but
most attendees are committed to attachment parenting styles and it really
shows. A baby being pushed in a stroller or carted around in a car seat
sticks out like a sore thumb instead of the norm. Babies and sleepy toddlers
are in arms, usually in a sling or similar "baby wearing" device. An out of
sorts baby or child is tended to with little fuss. There is good modeling
and gentle (sometimes firmly insistent) encouragement for the parent who is
still growing in the understanding that attachment parenting is about
meeting needs AND setting firm expectations and limits.
I was a LLL Leader for many years and the conferences were always a
highlight of the year for my family.
The very best part was seeing all the dads caring for their children so
lovingly. My husband is very big and strong (6'4") and the memory of him
carrying a tiny daughter (4 of them!) curled up on his chest in a sling will
always melt my heart.
It would be nice to see such scenes in the media. It would be a welcome
relief from horrifying news stories and Maury Povich "Who's the Baby's
Daddy?" shows.
Thanks for stirring up such lovely memories for me :)

Christine Young, IBCLC, retired LLL Leader
Diamond Springs, CA