HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carol Serr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2007 19:07:42 -0700
I give up! (and it's hard for me to admit defeat).  Can't find anything
online referring to our amber, rectangular panel bottle (only have
fragments) with the marking on one side of GAUSS ...with no additional
words (on that side) that I can tell (dont have any of opposite side).

Only info online is about the German mathmetician.  Pooh.  Has anyone
found one of these before?  Can't figure out if it was a medicine...or
toiletry product (like hair dye)...or  ???

Also have many other very partial marks that are being a Challenge to
ID.  Some markings I thought I would easily find info online,
but...nope.

I know there was a S.W. Craigue who bottled whiskey in San Diego in the
late 1800s...but, cant find a single example of one of his flasks
online.  Yes...I have come to expect Everything to be online.  ha ha.

Can't find anything on the Colusa Soda Works (Colusa, CA) either, except
the ref. to a 1994 article in a bottle mag. (that I hope a friend has a
copy of).

Shoot.

Two different bottles have portions of body markings that would appear
to read:
"CRESCENT MARK" as part of the wording...but, nothing comes up online
for that either (as a liquor; I think).   I thot searching on "PURITY
AND EXCELLENCE" would surely bring up info on a bottle with such
markings (same Crescent Mark one)....but...no luck.  :o(

I really dont like when I strike out searching.  :o(

Did find a photo of a whole jar lid for San Jose Fruit Packing Co...when
all we have is <1/4 of a milkglass lid with some decoration on it...and
"AN JOSE"...  Turns out the decoration is a depiction of 2 fighting
bears (over a can of CALIFORNIA FRUITS) and a bald eagle!  What an
ellaborate design for the company.  Dont know what type jar the lid went
to tho....

Any help, leads, etc....will be Greatly appreciated.