HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Wed, 6 Jun 2007 08:02:34 -0500
From Wickopedia:

January 1 is the 1st day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There
are 364 days remaining (365 in leap years).

January 1 is the first day of the calendar year in both the Julian and
Gregorian calendars. Here a calendar year refers to the order in which
the months are displayed, January to December. The first day of the
medieval Julian year was usually a day other than January 1. This day
was adopted as the first day of the Julian year by some European
countries between 1522 and 1579 (that is, before the creation of the
Gregorian calendar in 1582). See beginning of the year. The British
Empire (including its American colonies) did not adopt the Gregorian
calendar until 1752. This change can lead to dating confusion between
Old Style and New Style dates. The Gregorian calendar as promulgated
in 1582 did not specify that January 1 was to be either New Year's Day
or the first day of its numbered year. Although England began its
numbered year on March 25 (Lady Day) between the thirteenth century
and 1752, January 1 was called New Year's Day, which was a holiday
when gifts were exchanged.

It's Wickopedia so it may or not be accurate.

:-)

Smoke

--
Smoke Pfeiffer

I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every
form of tyranny over the mind of man.
Thomas Jefferson
(Carved at the base of the dome, interior of the Jefferson Memorial,
Washington, D.C.)