Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 2006 13:16:34 +0800
On 18/10/2006, at 5:22, Diane Wiessinger wrote:

> I always chose for myself where I did and did not breastfeed.  When
> a symbol tells a woman *this* place is good, it's also implying
> that *that* place isn't so good.
[snip]

Most of the public baby-care rooms I see here in Australia have a
nappy change symbol instead of anything related to feeding. It looks
a bit like this:
http://www.worth1000.com/entries/203500/203823TAcy_w.jpg

or like the baby symbol near the right side of this map:
http://twodoubleseven.corpendo.co.nz/images/PageImages/level2.jpg

Feeding of children is welcomed in these rooms of course, and they
usually have an outlet (and often a microwave, and sometimes even
coffee and tea, and occasionally a toddler play area!) but the symbol
could in no way be interpreted as restricting infant feeding to that
area. Nor do the symbols imply the gender of parents/carers permitted
to use them.

Lara Hopkins