Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Oct 2006 04:00:56 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (30 lines)
Hi Pat,
  I have seen the same trend you mentioned here in Puerto Rico.  For example, we have a large Dominican Republic community here in the island.  An while in RD breastfeeding is the norm, here in the island they probably have the lowest bf initiation.  I have even seen grandmas' who come for the birth of the baby to "take care of the mother", who have bf themselves, put doubt in their daughter's mind.

But the same goes around for us puertoricans.  While bf initiation in the island is 64 %  (due to a mass effort of bf advocates...because back a decade we were less than 4%) bf initiation of puertoricans in continental USA is not even near.  

We have to keep in mind that bf is more common in Latin America among the lowest social classes.  The US is seen as the land of wealth, of easier lifestyle, of new gadgets to make your life easier.  I myself remember when my brothers moved to the states more than 30 years ago...they use to call me and tell me "we have this, and this and that".  So the bottle is probably associated among these community as a new way of American life.  

Just dont give up.  A decade ago we saw it as impossible to increase the initiation rate of bf.  Now we are very close to the national goals.  Now we have to work on decreasing our c/s rates (60%).

Carmen Cabrer, IBCLC, LLLL, CCE
  [log in to unmask] 
  www.lacted.com
  Puerto Rico

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2