From:
Kellie Whitney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 2006 18:52:56 -0400
I am looking for the usual dosage reccomended for this product. I am
working with a military mother who is VERY concerned that she will have
enough milk available when she is deployed. Her deployment is not for
several months, and her baby is only 2 weeks old. She will return to a
regular shift on-base in about a month. After a long conversation with
her, it sounds like her supply is just fine. Still, she is concerned. I
have given her our standard reccomendations for pumping milk, and she has
promised to call me back if she needs more help. Based on her demeanor and
peristance (none of the LLLLs in her area answered the phone right away,
so she tried the warm-line for my county) I am pretty confident that she
will.

Now, I must say that everything seems fine with mother and baby. I think
she just needs to relax and wait a bit. Baby's weight is good, he has
sufficient wets and bowel movements, they are nursing at least 12 times a
day, etc. She nursed and pumped sucessfully for her older child (aged 4).
Of course, I tried to calm her and let her know that she has PLENTY of
time to store milk for her eventual deployment. Still, since her situation
as a working mom is different from those I usually encounter, I understand
her "gung-ho" attitude. She seems to feel the need to do something to get
things hopping. In my experience with our Area Professional Liason, we
reccomend Mother's Milk Tea, so I'm not sure what to reccomend with the
liquid suppliment she has on hand. She would like to use what she has, if
at all possible.

I really don't think she needs any herbal help at this point, but I
understand her need to DO SOMETHING PROACTIVE, given that she will
eventually be deployed.

My son was conceived on September 12, 2001. We were scheduled to leave for
a belated mini-honeymoon on that day. Of course, we could not fly out
then. After his birth, I felt the strong need to pump and store as much
milk as possible. I was not returning to work, but I was terrified that
there would be another terrorist attack, or a natural disaster, and that
my son would need my milk if I were to die. I know, not a terribly logical
thought. Still, the milk stored in the freezer eased my mind. Of course, I
wound up giving myself a terrible case of over-supply by pumping so much.
I had HUNDREDS of ounces of milk stored by the time he was a few months
old. This mother's cncerns are so much more concrete than mine, but at
least I have a frame of reference to understand her drive to store as much
milk as possible.

Also, does anyone know of any support groups for nursing military mothers?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. She is working to protect the
freedom of my children...the least I can do is help her to help her baby!