From:
Norma Ritter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2006 10:37:37 -0400
Regina wrote:
>Because if, after ten years of contact with mothers and babies, I
FAIL IT I don't belong anywhere near nursing mothers & babies.<
and
>There's something about having to study for an exam that ensures
you're reading the latest and staying current.  Continuing education
is easier then retaking the exam. <

I have many mixed feelings about these statements.
I absolutely agree that there have to be ways of ensuring competancy.
I do wonder, however, whether written exams can tell the whole story.
They do not take into account other learning styles.
They do not take into account how those who pass actually interact
with their clients.

As an example, I recently had the unfortunate experience of seeing a
doctor whose bedside manner was so poor that I refuse to ever see him
again. His office wall was filled with certificates attesting to his
competancy - even his excellence - in his field, but his people skills
were lacking.

Although, as LCs, we do not officially diagnose, we do, in fact, act
as detectives. Some of us are more skilled at rooting out the base
cause of a nursing dyad's problems than others, but how do you measure
that skill? One of the limitations of the present IBCLE exam is that
we are assured that we have been given all the information we need to
get a correct answer, but real life is far more complex.

I do not have answers, but I do have questions.

Norma Ritter, who just passed her 10 yr IBCLC recertification