From:
Tina Lavy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2006 12:37:47 -0400
I am posting this to express my frustration at what I will call
the "system".  I work at a local health department, which houses a WIC
program.  I did work for that WIC program for many years, but due to
funding cuts, was moved to the MCAH program.  I am not a nurse, but have a
MS in Nutrition Ed, and recently passed the IBCLC.  I love working with
new moms, but have been told that there is no funding for me to provide
lactation services (note that I WORK in the MCAH program!)  My job is too
make lovely bulletin boards and copy handouts).  I often see moms leaving
our office with new babies and, because of what I am (an IBCLC), I will
stop and admire the new baby.  I did so yesterday as this mother just
remarked to someone else admiring her baby, that her baby was born a month
early.  He was 9 days old.  We conversed a minute, and by nature, I
automatically asked if she was nursing.  Grandma, who was there as well,
mentioned the new mom had tried, but it did not go well. Grandma mentioned
they had CALLED THE HEALTH DEPARTMENT to see if someone could stop by for
a visit and help with breastfeeding. They were told no one there would be
able to help!  We have two WIC dietitians (one a CLC), both with
breastfeeding experience, several PHN's, and ONE IBCLC in our whole COUNTY
(me) and this mom was told there was no one to help her breastfeed! I
asked if maybe I could be of assistance right then (I have ON MY LUNCH
HOUR AND AFTER WORK HELPED FRIENDS/WORKERS with breastfeeding concerns. I
have to say "I am not assisting you as a county employee." to cover
myself.) She stated "I wanted to breastfeed, but isn't it too late?"  I
said "No, we certainly can give it a try, have you thought about a pump?"
The mom politely declined.  I could tell I WAS TOO LATE. If this mom had
been offered help days ago, we might have a breastfed baby among us, but
this mom left with the WIC office with a hospital diaper bag containing a
can of ABM and WIC coupons for the same.  Tell me please, WHAT ARE WE
DOING WRONG?!!!  I have repeatedly requested funding/grants for lactation
services, but the wheels turn awfully slow and I am getting frustrated.
Anyhow, I will get off my soapbox and go back to making copies.