From:
James O'Quinn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Aug 2006 10:45:04 -0400
Thanks for all the info!

Because everything that goes wrong in a nursing mother
is blamed on the breastfeeding
I feel like I have to become knowledgeable about things only
tangentially related
to breastfeeding in order to help moms...

I had a client whose baby, born at home had problems
from birth...
  Even though his birth was entirely uneventful
  everybody blamed the mother and blamed the birth,
  And of course as soon as she was breastfeeding they blamed
the breastfeeding...

Although I felt strongly from birth someone should be doing genetic
testing
or some sort of testing on the baby the mother was so beaten down
by the medical people she had been dealing with that she did not
insist on it...

She was strong enough however never to stop breastfeeding even though
the medical people labeled the baby's failure to thrive as maternal
causes
because she would not give up breastfeeding...She had done test weighing
and tube feeding breastmilk from birth so she knew breastfeeding was
not the cause...

Seven months later he was diagnosed with a very rare life threatening
disease that was and is responsible for all of his difficulties since
birth
... in all likelihood the disease has progressed substantially
over the time he went undiagnosed...

This has turned into a rant I guess but I am sure all of you can
identify
with my feelings...I can't wait for the day when breastfeeding is not
blamed for
everything and nursing mothers are not told to wean every time
they seek medical attention for themselves and their babies for
illnesses
that bottlefeeding moms and formula-fed babies suffer from too!!!

Would it ever happen that a formula-feeding mom
would present herself or her baby to the doctor with some problem
and the doctor would straight away say..."Well first thing you've
got to do is induce lactation and quit that bottlefeeding!" ????

Jen O'Quinn IBCLC