From:
Greg Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 2006 09:06:01 -0500
 Honey house humidity can easily be dealt with using a ceiling fan, a
residential dehumidifier (in the south a window AC unit is needed also), and
a pallet setup that allows for air flow through the stack of supers. To stop
shb egg hatching you need to get the humidity in the supers below 50%. An
added benefit (maybe) is that it will lower the moisture content of your
honey.

 It also seems that migratory beekeeping is less susceptible to shb, picking
up and moving hives causes the shb to flee the hives. I have seen graphs
showing the spread of shb along the Interstate 95 corridor. Although Bob's
friend didn't have many problems with shb, I know several beekeeper's who
made sure that they moved their hives  out of an area prior to Bob's friend
moving his, a lesson they learned the hard way.

Because of the humidity issues, I don't believe a lot of California
bee/queen rearers will have the same problems, or at least to the same
extent that their South Eastern US queen rearers have had with shb. If they
are going to, it will show up quickly with the Almond pollinators, as shb
"love" pollen supplements.