From:
Winifred Mading <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 2006 11:09:55 -0500
I am in the process of catching up on back Lactnet digests after returning from a 5 day fantastic Baha'i Gospel music workshop.  Sorry if this has been addressed as I still have several back digests to read yet.
The stories about what moms and babies (and LCs) are experiencing in Israel is very moving.  Let us not forget that the same issues occur on both sides.  I am sure you could take stories from both sides of any conflict, eliminate any references that would identify the geographical/political location and you could not tell which side it came from.  I remember hearing that one person an ILCA was not sure how she could get home to Lebanon since the runways at the airport had been incapacitated.
I liked the comment that maybe if lactating women were in charge it might be more possible to find peaceful resolutions to conflict.  My heart goes out to all moms and babies who are secondary victims when people run out of ways to settle differences other than "duking it out".  (Please understand that while I have some personal interest in the safety of Haifa, I do not intend this to be support or condemnation of either "side" in this current conflict.)
Our experiences on Lactnet certainly point out that breastfeeding is a universal experience with only small variations in challenges, attitudes etc. influenced by the culture of any given location

Winnie