From:
Kellie Whitney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Aug 2006 20:27:10 -0400
This study shows that breastfed babies cope better with extreme stress
(like divorce) at age 10. Their anxiety level was rated on a scale of 1-50
by their teachers.

I have not read the actual study, nor am I well versed in statistics.
However, the sample size was pretty large at 9,000. I have no idea if they
controlled for factors such as whether or not the infant had a stay-at-
home parent, the education level of the parents, etc. I do not know if the
study was blinded in any way (I am a lay-person, so what I mean by that is
that the teachers rating the children did or did not know if the children
were breastfed. I hope I am using the terminology correctly). I abviously
need to brush up on my knowledge of statistics before I become an IBCLC!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060802/hl_nm/breastfeeding_dc_1

If anyone has a link to an abstract for this study, I would love to have
it. I'm sure many others on LACTNET would appreciate the link, as well.

--Kellie Whitney, LLLL

p.s. my statement that I am a lay person in no way indicates that I
believe my input is less valuable. I was gently chastized by many
LACTNETters with a great amount of "alphabet soup" after their names for a
prior post in which I made it painfully clear that I felt I was in a
lesser position to comment on an issue because I am "only" an LLLL. Thanks
to all of you who responded to that post. You have no idea what your
comments did for my self-confidence! I now fully embrace my position as
an "expert," despite my lack of formal medical training. However, in this
situation, I think someone with a more scientific background would better
be able to interpret the study. Some day, I will have my IBCLC, my RN, and
perhaps a Masters in Public Health. These will all assist me to better
understand studies such as this.