From:
Renee Hefti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 2006 08:30:56 -0700
Greetings!  The Shoppers Drug Mart in my area (4th and Vine, Vancouver, Canada) has a huge display of discounted powdered formula across from the pharmacy.

Shoppers are Canada wide and are independently owned.  The owner at this store is a pharmacist.  I spoke to him, about the Code, on September 16th.  He was totally uninterested so I phoned Shoppers Head office where I was told they would look into it.

Yesterday (the 20th) I went back into the store.  The display is still there.  I took a copy of the Code and info that powdered formula is not sterile and that Women's Hospital, the largest maternity in Canada, recommends not using powdered formula for babies under 1 month, prems or ill babies.  I told him if the display was not gone by 10pm I would notify the media.  He got very angry.  Said the display would stay and he told me to leave the store.

Canadians, please check the Shoppers near you. If you find a display, (not just the cans on the formula aisle) please call Shoppers Head Office and say this violates the Code.  Toll free number is 1-800 SHOPPER.  Ask to speak to Anna.  Please let me know what you find. I have notified the local media this morning but if this promotion is Canada wide I will notify the Globe and Mail.

Many thanks, Renee Hefti - Graham