Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 2006 20:26:57 -0700
From:
Lisa Marasco IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
Heather,
The question I would ask is if (most likely) the mother was treated in order
to get pregnant, and if so, for how long. Pituitary tumors often cause
elevated prolactin levels, which suppress ovulation and so cause
infertility. Many women with these tumors are treated by either
bromocriptine or cabergoline, sometimes until they become pregnant,
sometimes into or through the pregnancy. Cabergoline especially is longer
acting and I have had concerns about its use; there have been mothers like
the sister-in-law who were treated into pregnancy and then had difficulty
making much milk.

Of course, it is always wise to look for the obvious as well-- such as
retained placenta-- and also to screen for the less obvious like ovarian
theca lutein cysts. But my suspicion would lie in treatment for the tumor,
as prolactin-suppressing medications are used to control the growth of the
tumors.

Lisa Marasco