From:
Melissa Vickers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2006 13:59:27 -0600
Hi, all

First, to whoever alerted us to the fact that the IBCLE survey deadline had
been extended--thank you! I had set it aside and then forgotten about it.

I found the survey aggravating in a number of places--some of the questions
just didn't make sense, like the long lists of jobs and how frequently our
lactation knowledge is used in our primary, secondary, and voluntary roles.
I am not at all sure that the answers that I gave will be categorized in a
way that represents my situation, if that makes sense.

And at least a couple of questions were of the "Did you __________, yes or
no?" I answered "no" and then was asked the followup question that ONLY made
sense for a yes answer.

The final question allowed for comments on IBCLC roles, and the survey and
had a large box to type text in. However, the number of characters was
restricted so I was unable to adequately answer the question and provide
input on ALL the areas that were lumped into that question.

I can only imagine (or not) what the versions in other-than-English language
must have looked like.

Surveys are very hard to design in such a way that is reliable--that two
people who answer the same way mean the same thing, or two people who mean
the same thing answer the same way. I've worked as a data collector for
years and I know how often seemingly well-worded questions just don't work
in the field.

Sigh.

Anybody else frustrated with this survey?

Melissa Vickers, IBCLC
Huntingdon, TN