From:
Nina Berry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jul 2006 16:56:28 +1000

Hi Pam
I am wondering if this baby might be suffering from some tightness or spinal
misalignment as a result of position in utero or some injury during the
birth.  It seems very odd that a baby would be so averse to oral stimuli.
Below is a copy of the description of this and of the 'treatment' that I
sent to Lactnet a while back.

"When you lay the baby on its back, it is bent, shaped like a banana?  When
s/he is placed on her tummy, does she bring both hands up underneath her
chest, draw her knees up and push her chest up off the bed/ table?  Does she
follow the sound of her mother's voice all the way from one side of the room
to the other?  When you lay her naked on her back and hold one hand across
her body will she pull herself onto her side?  In both directions?  If any
of these shows an asymmetrical muscle tone, this may explain the poor
attachment - although, typically, the nipple damage would be worse on one
side than the other.  Carrying the baby in an upright sling or plenty of
tummy time (they hate it at first!) helps with these kids."

Pam Heselev (an IBCLC here in AUS) uses a fairly intensive exercise program
with these little ones that includes sitting them on a gym ball (holding
them around the hips) and rolling them about so that they have to change
position to compensat for the movement of the ball.  Also placing the baby
on its tummy on the ball and rolling it about as if the baby is going to
pcik something up from the floor.  Sounds like this mum will be OK with
using a sling  what is important is to use an upright position for this and
not a cradled one so that the baby'e muscles strengthen symmetrically.

I am sure that Jen Tow will suggest some cranio-sacral evaluation and
possibly therapy.  I don't have any experience with that but I know many
mothers who have had much success with it.

Good luck with this one and do keep us updated as the baby grows.  I'd like
to hear whether this is an early indication of something else.
Best
Nina Berry BA/Bed(Hons) Dip Arts(Phil)
Breastfeeding Counsellor
PhD Candidate - "Ethical Issues in the marketing of 'Toddler Milks'"