From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Apr 2006 23:36:15 +0200
The 5th edition of the Seattle and King County book 'The Breastfeeding
Triage Tool' came out in December of 2005 and can be ordered from them.  I
know because my local breastfeeding support group translated an earlier
edition into Norwegian in 1992, which is how I learned touch typing AND how
to use a computer, but that is another story.  I translated a later edition
into Norwegian on my own too, commissioned by the breastfeeding organization
here.  The manager of the Seattle and King County Women's Health Unit very
kindly sent me the latest edition, and there is an online order form at
www.metrokc.gov/health/breastfeeding   She is one of the book's three
authors.  Two of them are IBCLCs, Sandra N. Jolley and Ilana R. Chertok;
Ellen Phillips-Angeles who sent me the book is a public health educator.

While I have no ongoing financial interest in the book I was paid to do the
most recent Norwegian translation, but I wouldn't have bothered if I didn't
think the book was very worthwhile.  The target group is exactly the group
described by Chris Erland in her post.  Use of the book should reduce the
number of bad phone responses by other HCPs and at the very least ensure
that babies at risk are discovered and appropriately followed up in a way
that doesn't undermine breastfeeding.  It is more concise and less in depth
on breastfeeding than BAB - after all, it is not meant to be used by IBCLCs
or others who primarily give guidance to breastfeeding mothers, but by
people who will be deciding who to refer to if a referral is necessary.  In
many of the instances covered by the book, the referral will be to an IBCLC.

Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway