From:
Winifred Mading <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2006 07:06:01 -0500
Here's my experience:
One of the 2 major companies in the US provided an educational program about preventing infant abduction.  Sounds innocent enough and certainly an important topic, especially since it was big in the news at the time, a big JCAHO issue that year and our hospital was initiating new security protocols.  (Can you say exploit the situation?)
The presentation was excellent, goodies were provided for those attending (attendance was mandatory) and there was no promotion or even mention of formula (other than the company name as sponsor) even subtly in the formal presentation.  So far, so good.  Then after the video ended, the formula salesman (I refuse to call them reps-lets call it what  it really is) got up and made this little speech(as close as I can recall the exact words).
"Remember, this educational offering is made possible by (holding up one of the nursery bottles of his product) your use of xxxxxxx.  Every time you give a baby a bottle of xxxxxxx or give a mother our gift bag (his words-you know how I feel about that term!) you help make it possible for us to provide these essential educational opportunities to you."
I thought I would gag!
Of course, our hospital can't even consider the thought of not giving out the bags, otherwise how could they continue to offer such excellent educational programs at no cost to the hospital.  (Now removing tongue from cheek.)

Winnie