Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 30 Aug 2006 08:05:11 -0700
From:
Lisa Marasco IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
It really must be a national landmark week or something. Almost 20 years
ago, in this same community, I had surgery and breastfed right before and
soon after my procedure, which was done under a general anesthesia. Now I've
had two moms come to me for electric pumps because their *OB* told them that
they must pump 12 hours before and 24 hours after a tubal ligation!  For
fear of the general harming the baby, who by the way was a month or two of
age, even. And then a mother who I helped through a really rough start had
to have an emergency appendectomy and was told she could not nurse for two
days because of that surgery/anesthesia, too, and was also not offered a
pump in the hospital. Though I found out about this 4 days later and
counseled her on how to get back on track, she did not show up for her
follow-up appointment yesterday and that does not bode well; her fledgling
efforts were really torpedoed by the bad advice and chances are good she is
no longer breastfeeding. These are all WIC moms who are already at high risk
for breastfeeding.  The hospital LC, who has a close rapport with the docs,
is starting to call the MD offices to re-educate them on this issue, but I
can't believe we are back at this place again!

~Lisa, tired of the myriad of obstacles faced by mothers who already are
struggling to succeed